Sunday, May 6, 2012

When I started looking for our Bailiwick, I was looking at the boys disabilities and trying to find what works to help them progress.  But, I can't separate the rest of the family from the boys.  We are a family and our Bailiwick includes all of us.  And, boy did it include Samantha this week.  
She knocked the socks off everyone.  My tiny girl, with her 2 & 1/2 year growth delay, decided she wanted to try out for the school talent show.  I held back and didn't discourage her.  I wanted to protect her.  I knew it would be nerve racking and possibly disappointing.  She tried out with a song and made it.  Had a tiny break down at a rehearsal.  I showed up an talked her through it.  And 8:15 Tuesday morning she sang loud and true. 
Of course I didn't have a memory card in my camera, but at least my shoes matched.  I took this with my phone.  You can't hear the beautiful music of 'True Light' but you sure can hear her sing.  She has enjoyed a week of congratulations...  I was so tempted to protect her.  She never did back down.  Even when she didn't feel she was good enough, she didn't even think about not doing it.  
I have always believed you never tell a child they can't try.  You always believe in them.  Give them the choice to succeed.  They will know if it is right for them.  They are just looking at you to find that belief.  The belief you have in them is often the belief they have in themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment