Friday, March 21, 2014

We took a leap of faith, Chase and I.  Rather than a nice slow transition to the world of soccer.  We jumped right in!
We were late to arrive because aquatics class overlapped practice time.  Practice was in full swing when we got there.  As I watched what seemed to me semi-professionals running seamlessly from goal to goal.  Scoring and stealing the ball all wrapped up together in a symbiotic relationship dance thing...!  I thought do I put Chase in the middle of these young athletes that have been playing for what...2-3 years.  Release him in what I was now convinced was one of the worst parenting decisions I have made in a long time.  So I made him sit and wait until I could talk to the coach.  After practice we introduced ourselves.  I sent Chase to the field where a few stragglers were practicing their kicking.
I told the coach I had felt it was time for Chase to move some of his skills from supported athletics to park-board sports.  I then told her I am thought I made a mistake.  Then as she started to point out some short fallings of the players.  I saw the intensity melt away from these sport driven athletes and my eyes beheld children kicking a ball.  The coaches welcomed Chase with open arms and offered to do extra practices with him to help him learn the game.  
My fear and doubt has faded for the moment.  We will see where it goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment