Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Just the other day a friend of mine spoke of her retirement and the mission trip to follow.  My thoughts immediately went back to Give Kids The World and our life-altering, not just changing, but truly altering vacation.  Nathan's Make-A-Wish trip to Florida set up our home away from home at Give Kids The World Village.  We were surrounded and engulfed in the love of others. 
I couldn't even walk around the grounds without my eyes being moist with tears.  We met young and old.  College and retired.  Families and individuals.  All there to serve.  The best part is that we are now considered Village Alumni!  That means we can return to the grounds during daylight hours and even have ice cream for breakfast again. 
So my thought is...what if we took a vacation to serve as volunteers. 
Who knows better how much it means to families that are struggling with challenges.  Who want to just take a vacation and not think about doctors appointments or the next hurdle.  We had no worries on the trip.  Those around us wanted us to be there. It made them happy.  I get it!  Joy in service.  It feels so good it almost seems selfish, but it is far from.
I know I wouldn't have to talk this family into it.  The oldest has spent her time in the service of making families smile after seeing the change come over her brother as he experienced true joy and peace that lasted a year after his very special trip.
That's it.  It is decided.  The change I saw not only in Nathan as his wish was fulfilled, but the change I saw in his sisters and the paths they are choosing now came directly from being involved in the Make-A-Wish program and staying at Give Kids The World.  What a gift we were given.  To give back to other families is just as priceless as the vacation itself.  To relive those feelings and train my children up to serve others is a magical soulful journey I can't wait to make.

This is the way we roll. 
I plan to make this walk again!!




No comments:

Post a Comment