Monday, April 23, 2012

Paul Cimins of AutismRadio.org posted this.  It really struck me.  Not only for myself and confirming that my work is within the field of autism.  Not just because that is what I live, breathe and eat (for the last 19 years), but it is what I know.  And, I know there is great work to be done.  Why?  Because, our children are great.  Parents, grandparents, siblings, teachers, therapists and physicians.  We can enjoy this journey.  Success is sweet.  But, even if our children never overcome their limitations.  Every moment working with them is time well spent and done right can be very satisfying.  We must find our own Bailiwick.  How I do things might not suit you.  Nathan's progress is very experienced based.  New experiences open his mind.  And Chase loves to learn.  I can't define our bailiwick yet but I don't fight it.  I am learning it is okay to have fun.  That I shouldn't feel guilty that not every moment is consumed by "getting better".  I have amazing children.  We get out of our house and experience life.  We welcome opportunities.  Sometimes we twist an ankle, but it heals and we learn to be patient. 

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle." - Steve Jobs

No comments:

Post a Comment